Next Next Previous Previous

Stanton Drew

24 25 The Cove irregular stones in the distance The Cove derived from Old English cofa, an alcove, and from the ancient German for hollow place is situated in the garden of the Druids Arms public house a short distance from the main site. Tradition has a shaman occupying the place and receiving messages from the gods. Consisting of two stillstanding stones with one recumbent slab separating them, all three of varying sizes, the stones of the Cove are mineralogically diverse from the stones comprising the circles, perhaps suggesting a different construction date. The Cove is situated on an alignment that passes through nearby St. Marys Church and extends through the centre of the Great Circle to the centre of the Northeast Circle. Opposite The Avebury Cove, where the third stone is fallen, from William Stukeleys book of 1743. This page, clockwise from top left late 19th century drawings of the Cove at Stanton Drew by C. W. Dymonds, William Barnes and H. M. J. Underhill. Coves are thought to indicate lunar extremes, but the Stanton Drew example, which points south, seems to contradict this. Overleaf The Stanton Drew Cove, from William Stukeleys Itinerarium Curiosum, 1724.
From Other Books..
Currently Browsing:
Buy and download E-Book PDF
Buy Softback from Amazon
Buy Hardback from Amazon
Keywords on this page
Show fewer keywords
Show more keywords
See Also:
Log In
Authors List
Comments
Series Titles
Covers
Special Offers
Home
Powered by Ergonet BookBrowser Engine
x