Next Next Previous Previous

Stanton Drew

2 3 The AreA Surrounding history and location The name Stanton Drew derives from the Old Saxon for Stone Town StanTon and the fact that, during the Middle Ages, the land surrounding the stone circles was owned by the Drogo family, a Norman name which evolved into the AngloCeltic word for magician, sorcerer or druid Dru, Dryw, or more commonly today, Drew. Hence Stanton Drew, or Stone Town of the Drew Family. The Hautevilles were another powerful French noble family who settled in Somerset and the West Country in the 11th and 12th centuries and held the manor at Stanton Drew. Tancred, Sire de Hauteville, was courtier to Richard II, and Roger de Stanton, descendant of Tancred, owned the manor of Stanton Drew at Domesday circa 1086 AD. Petrosomatoglyphs on the Pool Farm cist cover from north of Priddy, Somerset
From Other Books..
Currently Browsing:
Buy and download E-Book PDF
Buy Softback from Amazon
Buy Hardback from Amazon
Keywords on this page
Show fewer keywords
Show more keywords
See Also:
Log In
Authors List
Comments
Series Titles
Covers
Special Offers
Home
Powered by Ergonet BookBrowser Engine
x