Next Next Previous Previous

Sacred Springs

48 49 Scotlandwell is found to the west of Kinross and the elegant well is in the centre of the village. The Romans passed through this area, and drank from the bubbling, pure water. Afterwards they named the well Fons Scotiae the well of Scotland, and so gave the name to the village also. A very ancient well, the water was used to heal the sick at the thirteenth century hospital of the Red Friars and is also credited with curing Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland, of his leprosy. The well house is a wooden structure which covers the large rectangular well trough, from which the water flows. The present structure is a reconstruction, dated 1858. A metal cup hangs by a chain, inviting visitors to sample the crystalclear water. Nearby Not far away are St Fillans Well at Aberdour on the Firth of Forth, and another sacred St Fillans Well at Pittenweem place of the cave, further to the northeast. In the seventh century St Fillan lived in this cave, using a stone shelf for a bed and drinking from the well, the caves pure spring. Later his abode became a shrine tended by monks of Pittenweem Priory, and even later it was used by eighteenth century smugglers. To the south, in Holyrood Park in Edinburgh is St Margarets Well, near the ruins of St Anthonys Chapel, with splendid views over the city. SCOTlANDWEll near Kinross, Scotland
From Other Books..
Currently Browsing:
Buy and download E-Book PDF
Buy Softback from Amazon
Buy Hardback from Amazon
Keywords on this page
Show fewer keywords
Show more keywords
See Also:
Log In
Authors List
Series Titles
Special Offers
Powered by Ergonet BookBrowser Engine