Next Next Previous Previous

Runic Inscriptions

4 5 The runes first came to these shores in or around the fifth century with the AngloSaxons, who by the time of their arrival had begun to modify the elder Fuark into the AngloSaxon Fuorc. This runic alphabet continued to flourish, reaching 28 characters and, like many pagan things, was adopted and also used by the Church as a straightforward script. Between the eighth and tenth centuries scribes recorded the AngloSaxon rune poem, which seems to be a condensation of rune lore in poetical formula. The original manuscript which contained the rune poem was destroyed in a great fire in 1731, but a fortunate copy was preserved in George Hickes Thesauraus of 1703. For each rune, the Latin equivalent is followed by its runic character, name and a verse describing the imagery and energy behind each rune. The poetical allusions of the Old English text are predominantly heathen although some of the poem may have been altered by the scribes to suit Christian taste. The rune poem was primarily used as a mnemonic and contemplative device to help remember the rune name and meaning and thus the sound value. the AnglosAxon rune Poem a clue from the dark ages
From Other Books..
Currently Browsing:
Buy and download E-Book PDF
Buy Softback from Amazon
Buy Hardback from Amazon
Keywords on this page
Show fewer keywords
Show more keywords
See Also:
Log In
Authors List
Comments
Series Titles
Covers
Special Offers
Home
Powered by Ergonet BookBrowser Engine
x