Next Next Previous Previous


27 26 the rediScOvery Of StOne 33A buried for over one hundred years Sharbau drew 48 stones. Today there are 49. The extra stone, part of the east row, was discovered during research by Margaret Curtis and myself. A plan by John Lynton Palmer is dated 1857 opposite, top it was probably drawn shortly before the peat clearance. Palmer recorded the distance between each stone and the next. We checked his measurements and found them remarkably accurate. The diagram opposite, centre is based on Palmers plan of the east row. It appeared that he had seen a stone, additional to those known, nineteen feet beyond stone 33. Also, Callenders earlier engraving showed what could have been a fallen stone in roughly the same position bottom right corner of picture on page 19. In February 1977, we carried out a systematic survey of the relevant area with a metal probe. This proved that the stone was still beneath the soil, just outside the site fence. We named the rediscovered stone 33A. It was uncovered during the 1980 excavation. Two years later, after the site boundary had been moved to include it, the stone was reerected in its original socket hole, restoring the east row to its full complement of five stones opposite, below. West East East West
From Other Books..
Currently Browsing:
Buy and download E-Book PDF
Buy Softback from Amazon
Buy Hardback from Amazon
Keywords on this page
Show fewer keywords
Show more keywords
See Also:
Log In
Authors List
Series Titles
Special Offers
Powered by Ergonet BookBrowser Engine