Next Next Previous Previous


19 18 Henry Callenders paper of 1854 Notice of the Stone Circle at Callernish included the birds eye view opposite the contents page and a superb engraving by James Kerr below. Villagers are seen gathering fuel by cutting peats across the east row they could be expected to cut around the circle stones within a few years. Therefore Callender suggested that the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland should apply to Sir James Matheson, the owner of the Isle of Lewis, for ... the moss to be removed, so as ... to ascertain whether any building had been erected at the original level. The peat was cleared on October 2nd 1857. Cosmo Innes reported to the Society that, five feet down, the workmen came upon ... a chambered building of three compartments. the excAvAtiOn Of 1857 rapid removal of five feet of peat
From Other Books..
Currently Browsing:
Buy and download E-Book PDF
Buy Softback from Amazon
Buy Hardback from Amazon
Keywords on this page
Show fewer keywords
Show more keywords
See Also:
Log In
Authors List
Series Titles
Special Offers
Powered by Ergonet BookBrowser Engine